Programming Is Harder Than I Thought....


         Well, as of my last post, I was pretty enthusiastic about getting starting with programming for iOS. As it turns out, it is not nearly as easy as I expected, even after watching tons of video tutorials from Team Treehouse and after reading hours of Apple Documentation. At this point, I can't even get the App to run after adding my design to Xcode. Usually, my error is either forgetting a semi colon or forgetting to add a variable, in which Ge is the primary source for detecting my errors. In this case, I have no clue with the error is an basically the screen below shows the root of my frustration:


                                                                                        Screenshot of my app trying to run and failing

          The build failed sign is taunting and the fact that I can't get rid of it is even more annoying. So, I decided to consult the experts of programming: the community at Stack Overflow. These people are programming gods and usually can solve most programming problems, so my next was contacting them to help me. I have posted my issue online, but unfortunately, I have yet to hear back. Since I had no response from the Stack Overflow community, I decided to consult the next programming expert, Google. I looked up my error and found a few links that would help. The first link I found was from a guy named Ray Wenderlich who is a iOS programmer and is really good with iOS storyboards (the place in my code I am having trouble with). After reading his link on iOS 5 story boards, I learned a few coding tips to implement in my code that should solve some of the problems that I have been having. Here is some of the code snippets that Mr. Wenderlich provides:

                                                                 
                                                              Code Snippet from Ray Wenderlich

          After looking at the code from Mr. Wenderlich, some of my many build errors went away, though I'm still left with a few to fix on my own. Hopefully I can get a handle on these issues and make sure that I can fix them and complete my app as soon as possible as the due date is quickly approaching. All I know for sure now is that I'm going to be having a busy spring break!


Sources:

http://www.raywenderlich.com/5138/beginning-storyboards-in-ios-5-part-1

http://www.stackoverflow.com

1 comments:

  1. Have you tried looking for semicolons :p
    It sounds like you've actually gotten pretty far in you project already, and it looks really cool from what I've seen of it. I know the frustration of not knowing how to fix code, and I wish you the best of luck in figuring out your errors. Do you think you could tell us a bit more about what you're actually doing with regards to debugging? You told us that you did make some fixes already, but assuming that you don't get a reply on stack overflow, how do you plan to proceed? Are you going to start over from scratch again?
    I can't wait to see your app in action!

    ReplyDelete

 
iOS Programming:
App Development
© 2012 | Designed by LogosDatabase.com, in collaboration with Credit Card Machines, Corporate Headquarters and Motivational Quotes